Sunday, October 12, 2008

October Sunday ... what was I thinking?


I was out and about today. It was a beautiful, sunny October afternoon and I decided to stop at a local farm market to pick out a few pumpkins. I should have known better! In addition to the great weather, it was a bye week for the Pittsburgh Steelers ......... Yes, that means that every family in Southwestern Pennsylvania went out to get their Halloween pumpkins today.
They packed the farm markets and corn mazes. They took hayrides out to the pumpkin patch. They sipped apple cider. They stirred applebutter. They staggered through the fields & parking lots loaded down with pumpkins and corn stalks. They got in my way! ;~)
I by-passed two farm market festivals where they had folks in orange t-shirts directing traffic into the parking areas. Finally, I slipped into Jodikinos Farm (between tractor ride departures to the pumpkin patch) and picked out 10 little pie pumpkins for $1 each. Then I zipped back out of the parking lot and headed for home. Whew.
Hey, the good news is that our local farmers had a great day to bring in visitors.
All about pumpkins ...... http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/pumpkins/
My pie pumpkins are going to be fence posts sitters ..... yep, they sit on fence posts along the driveway as a seasonal touch.

Still, I didn't get the unusual pumpkins/squash that I'm looking for to use as decorations. The search continues ..............


No comments: