Wednesday, September 3, 2008

So what is a Somerset Snap???

OK ..... this is for the serious foodies. I just got my PASA Harvest Celebration Benefit Dinner invitation in the mail today. http://www.pasafarming.org/pittdinner.html The tag line is "Pittsburgh Celebrates the Freshest Local Flavor of the Season". In looking over the extensive menu, I noticed "Somerset Snaps". Now what is a Somerset Snap? A Somerset Snap is a tasty, regionally adapted green bean grown by Laurel Vista Farm in Somerset County. How do I know this? Well, I had the opportunity to work on a couple of projects with Rick & Rita when I worked at PSCE. They are very active in promoting local agriculture and they have a special interest in infrastructure & logistical issues ...... the kind of things that most farmers have so little time to do. If we want to promote local food, we need to do some work to break into the marketplace. That means going beyond our great farmers' markets and working through issues related to transportation, food safety, processing, packaging, etc. Lots of work to do on this front for agriculture ......

If you'd like to try the full range of local foods, this dinner may be for you! In any event, check out my friends at Laurel Vista Farm. http://www.laurelvistafarm.com/Products.html

Sidelight ---- Rita & Rick came to a conference & brought me a garbage bag full of onion skins from their packing house. Why? I use them to make a natural dye for my wool yarn. It makes a beautiful deep gold! ;~)

No comments: