Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Bit Nippy Today

My singular purpose for going to the farmers' market today was to get apples ....... I am on tap to bring the pies for the family Thanksgiving dinner and I decided to make an apple pie as well as the obligatory pumpkin pies. Oak Spring Farm recommended the Melrose apples from the varieties that they had available. Here's a link to selecting & using the apples that are so plentiful locally now: http://www.thenewhomemaker.com/apples
I'll make the crusts from scratch, the apples will be local, but "Ms. Libby" will provide the pumpkin! Have you ever made a pumpkin pie from pumpkins or squash? I like them, but their paler color and extra texture (read fiber) make people think that there's something funny about them. The traditional Thanksgiving meal is not the time to introduce new (old!) ideas to the less adventurous conventional eaters. Too strenuous after all of the turkey ......


Well, it was cold today with about half an inch of snow on the ground around the Beaver Farmers' Market. That made it the perfect setting for the holiday greens & wreaths that the Volkar family sells every year. I didn't have my camera with me today for whatever reason, but next week I'll have pictures of their wonderful wreaths & swags. They will be at Beaver Farmers' Market until December 13th so get your local holiday decorations from the farmers' market! We also got the red onions from the Volkars, and of course a tray of cookies from Pat's Pastries. Have you noticed that the cow kitchen timer keeps angling into the picture? Yes, the cow "moos" the alarm. How now, black & white cow?

No comments: