Saturday, November 15, 2008

Warm & Light Rain Today

The broccoli from Swab's Fruit & Vegetables was doing just fine in the light rain & mist at the Beaver Farmers' Market today. The market is open from 10am - 1pm and will run until Decmeber 20th. I've had to give up on the Thursday afternoon farmers' market in Ambridge ...... just can't be sure to get there from work before it gets dark. So ..... it's back to the Saturday farmers' market in Beaver until the season ends. We skipped around to several of the vendors today picking up this broccoli, carnival winter squash, Winesap apples, black walnut fudge, and finally, red potatoes on our way out. I also made note that 2 of the vendors still have tomatoes for sale - some ripe - some nearly ripe - some green.
I got a special "present" from the Volkar family today ...... a shopping bag full of red onion skins! Yes, a bag of onion skins to use for my natural dyeing at the farm. I can't believe that they remembered me mentioning that I was looking for red onion skins, but I got a bag to try. I've seen a nice shade of green that was supposedly obtained from red onion skins, so I'm going to see if I can research the process to get that color .......

2 comments:

rhid said...

I was wondering if you read the M. Pollan article from the NY times maybe a month ago? And if so what did you think? I have absolutely no experience on a farm, and I'm barely scratching the surface when I read books and articles on sustainability, the farm bill etc. I'd love to hear what you have to say about the state of farms/farming in America at the moment.
This is the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/12/magazine/12policy-t.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=pollan&st=nyt&oref=slogin

Thank you!
Rhi

RMK said...

Wow - I hadn't seen the article, but I printed it out to read it. I'll add some comments over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend when I have some free time. I have pumpkin & apple pies to be "baked", maybe a pecan pie if I feel adventurous .... but I do have a couple of thoughts.