Sunday, December 14, 2008

Farewell Farmers' Market!

Saturday, December 13th was the last market day of the season for the Beaver County Fruit & Vegetable Growers Association in Beaver, PA. Goodbye 'til next spring from the farmers' market! Next market is May 2nd, 2009 ...... check the calendar and make sure that it's a Saturday.
We picked up apples since I'm on the hook to make apple pies for a Christmas luncheon party. We also bought cookies, a large butternut squash, carnival winter squashes, & some parsnips. PARSNIPS, you say? I've never had parsnips in my life before, so I decided to try some ..... I'll report back on the experience once I figure out what to do with them! The butternut squash went into "Butternut-Lamb Deluxe" - a recipe from the Garden Way Zucchini Cookbook. This recipe is about as local as you can get, since the lamb comes from my farm.

If you enlarge the picture, you might be able to see the price on the book --- $3.95. I've had this one for quite a while .......

No comments: